Friday, July 27, 2012

What Goes On?

Hey, how is everyone? The blog has been quiet this week, I know. Part of that is because I'm hard at work on a novel and that is sucking up a lot of my writing energy. And of course since I'm writing a lot, I'm not reading as much, and as we know, what I read is the main focus of the blog. So sorry I've been less than entertaining, but life's like that sometimes. I do have a bunch of stuff in my 'too be read' pile, so I'm sure I'll have plenty to talk about in the near future.
   I've noticed that the sword & sorcery content of the blog has slipped lately. Kind of drifted away from Conan and his brethren while I've been working on other things. It doesn't help that I've lately bailed on the monthly Conan the Barbarian comic book. As I feared, it wasn't the artwork that sent me packing but the writing. I'm not going to join the chorus of fanboys attacking writer Brian Wood. I still think the man an excellent writer. He and I just disagree on how Conan would behave in certain situations, so I've decided to agree to disagree and drop the comic from my reading list.
   I just finished reading a non-fiction book about gunfighters of the old west, as well as some very good western short fiction by Wayne Dundee and James Reasoner. I'll talk more about that soon.
   Other than that, life goes on. One of my cats, Amelia, has been a little under the weather the last couple of days. She seems to be on the mend but I'm keeping a close watch on her, so I'll be staying close to home this weekend. James A. Moore and I are closing on the 70,000 word mark on our follow up novel to Blind Shadows. Jim tells me that the signature sheets for the signed, limited edition of Blind Shadows are on the way, so that's kind of exciting. I get to write my name a couple of hundred times. That means the book is that much closer to publication. The release is still set for October, so it's rolling right up.
   Anyway, that's what's going on right now.

No comments: