Sunday, August 05, 2012

Late Night and Nostalgia

   I enjoyed watching Son of Samson so much that I decided to watch another Sword & Sandal movie.  However, I decided to add a nostalgic twist to this one. Back when I was a kid, before the Internet, before DVDs, even before VCRs, the only way to see some classic science fiction film was to wait until it was shown on regular old Television. For some reason, the various channels that ran things like Forbidden Planet and Seventh Voyage of Sinbad always seem to show them at like one in the morning. Many was the time that my cousin Rick and I would camp out in the living room at his house or mine and stay up until these near legendary movies came on.
   Been years since I had to stay up to watch a movie. Decades. So I thought I'd see what the experience would feel like. I chose Hercules and the Captive Women, a movie I knew to contain actual sorcery and monsters. It starred Reg Park who played Hercules in my all time favorite Sword & Sandal film, Hercules in the Haunted World. So I sat up late reading, and didn't start the movie until well after midnight.
   And you know what? I actually was able to capture just a little of that old feeling. That 'sand in my eyes and I really want to see how this ends but I kind of wish it would be over so I could get to sleep' feeling that I haven't had since I was 14 or so. Now if I'd only had a sleeping bag.

1 comment:

Brian Murphy said...

This is so true... not regarding the quality of Hercules and the Captive Women (which I haven't seen) but the experience of having to plan to watch a film, knowing you only had one chance to do so, and often late at night. I wouldn't go back to the pre-VCR/DVR days, but they did have a certain charm and even magical quality that is lacking nowadays.