Saturday, September 22, 2012

Statistically Speaking

 I'm not one of those people who obsessively checks his blog stats, seeing how many hits I have and who's coming to the blog. I blog because I enjoy it and because I like many other blogs and I like being part of that community. I've made a lot of friends through blogging. However I am a curious guy, so occasionally I go through the stats, The thing that fascinates me the most is the Traffic Sources Tab, specifically the Search Keywords that brought people here. Some aren't a surprise. For instance a check of this week's terms finds:

Conan the Barbarian

Best Conan Stories

Conan Comic Books

   I mean, I expect that and I'm glad folks are coming here to read about Conan. Obviously I've spent plenty of time blogging about Robert E. Howard's signature character and his appearances in books and comics.
   Less expected were:

Xena Pizza (I did blog about Xena eating pizza once.)

Roman Swords

Minotaur Barbarian (more about the minotaur in a moment)

Dragon Sex  (erm...)

   The minotaur thing is kind of funny because minotaur is one of the most popular search terms that brings people to Singular Points. I'm afraid people are disappointed when they follow the link because it leads to a post about an idea I had for a Doctor Who episode called The Maze of the Minotaur and not really to any useful information about minotaurs. Sorry about that.
   Another big winner is my pal Mark Bagley, the comic book artist. (Ultimate Spiderman, Justice League, Avengers) A couple of years back he gave me a fantastic drawing of Conan which I posted here. People searching for Mark will probably be happier than the minotaur hunters because they get to see a nifty drawing of a character Mark isn't usually associated with.
   Three of the other most popular search terms that bring people to my blog make me happy because they lead to reviews of three favorite stories, Stephen King's Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, Philip Jose Farmer's After King Kong Fell, and Fritz Leiber's Adept's Gambit. Those I feel I've done justice to.
   Other popular search terms are Jammie Dodgers, Vashta Nerada, How Strong is Hercules, Vikings, and Tarzan, all of which I've written about.
   The single most popular term that brings people to the blog? Singular Points. I don't know if they're looking for me or hunting math terms, but I'll take it.
   So what have we learned? If you need some traffic for your blog, put up a picture of a minotaur.

2 comments:

Taranaich said...

Oh lord, you don't want to know my blog statistics!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yeah, I bet!