Sunday, October 28, 2012

Legend of Conan (Or here we go again)

A few posts back, I commented on my opinion of Arnold Schwarzenegger's viability for a new Conan movie. At that point, though I thought he could do it,  I really didn't think it likely, given the poor performance of the 2011 reboot starring Jason Momoa as Conan. However this weekend it's been revealed that Arnold has signed with universal to star in a new film, Legend of Conan. So, here we go again.
   "Legend of Conan" Producer Chris Morgan plans for the film to take Arnold's age into account and tell the story of the older King Conan. He says:

“This movie picks up Conan where Arnold is now in his life, and we will be able to use the fact that he has aged in this story. We think this is a worthy successor to the original film. Think of this as Conan’s ‘Unforgiven.’”

   This is wise, and hopefully will make for an interesting story. It won't be a Robert E. Howard story, of course, but that leads me to the next part of this post.
   Believe it or not, I'm going to try and step away from my REH purist stance and give this movie a chance. "But why Charles?" You say, "You hate the first Conan the Barbarian movie."
   Yes I do. But I love the character of Conan and after 2011's reboot tanked so badly, I had little hope of anyone taking a chance on a Conan movie again in my lifetime. Like it or not, if anybody has a shot at making a successful Conan film right now, it's Arnold. And that will help bring the character back into popularity, which can only help to keep REH's books in print and available for future readers to discover.
   Plus, as my pal Al Harron has pointed out, this is a sequel to a movie that already wasn't faithful to Howard, so worrying about that particular issue is pointless. Let's just hope for a good movie.
   The downside, of course, is that if the movie does well, people will say "See, only Arnold is Conan." which will make me a bit apoplectic and I'll be subjected to more bad Arnold impressions until my dying day, but I'm willing to take one for the team.
   And if this movie tanks as well? Then I can say "See, you should have filmed one of Robert E. Howard's stories like I told you."

Read the article I refer to by Chris Lee here:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/10/26/arnold-schwarzeneggers-conan-prepping-for-his-unforgiven-turn/


No comments: