Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Big British Breakfast

  We've all heard tales of how bad British food is. I always tell people that it depends on what you order and where. I found the steak and mushroom pies to be great, for instance. (I did have a scary experience with Yorkshire pudding, but I've tried to forget that.) However, during my various trips to the UK, my favorite meal was always breakfast. The Grafton Edwardian Hotel on Tottenham Court Road (Where Watson and I once tracked a werewolf that had been preying on shop girls, but I digress) always served up a fantastic breakfast buffet of eggs, bacon, sausages, potato cakes, baked beans (No Spam) and other delights.
   This year, on Second Breakfast Day, I was reminded of how much I liked the British style baked beans in tomato sauce with my eggs, so knowing I had the day off today, I stopped in at Publix yesterday evening and picked up a can of Heinz baked beans in the British foods section. While I was there, I swung by the bakery and got some blueberry scones. Publix scones come the closest to the genuine UK article of any scones I've tried and the blueberry are particularly good.
   So this morning I cooked myself a big breakfast of eggs, sausages, and baked beans, finishing up with a blueberry scone. This is the way to get a five day weekend started! 
(Note: The above image is not a picture of my actual breakfast. I ate mine before thinking to get the camera.)



Edit. Hey this marks my 200th post for the year! Doesn't look like I'm going to match last year's number, 243, but still a respectable number of posts.

9 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

The Irish pretty much adopted the British breakfast and oh-how-I -love-it! Something that would kill you if you had it every day.

I love having a full Irish breakfast for brunch with a pint of stout. That is a meal!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yeah, I can definitely only have this sort of breakfast once and a while. But boy is it tasty.

Keith said...

I just finished breakfast (fried eggs only, I was out of grits), but seeing this makes me hungry again.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

MMMMM,grits.

Dougie said...

I was staying in a hotel last night and this morning had everything on "your" plate minus beans but plus Black Pudding.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I'm envious, Dougie!

Cromsblood said...

Please tell me that purple thing is not a piece of bacon. It's a little off-putting.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

heh heh, yes, that's boiled bacon. I didn't include that in my breakfast.

Cromsblood said...

I have never heard of boiled bacon. Interesting, but one method of preparing bacon that I will surely never consider.