Saturday, December 08, 2012

Full Treasury

  A while back I mentioned that I was trying to get all four of the Marvel Treasury Editions that featured Conan the Barbarian without paying an arm and a leg. I kept a close watch on Ebay for these 10"X13" giant comics and last week my diligence paid off. I found a very nice copy of Marvel Treasury Edition #4 for a good price and I snapped it up. It arrived in the mail yesterday. Of the four, this was the only one that I'd owned a copy of when I was a kid. I remembered it well because it was the first look I had at two Roy Thomas/Barry (pre-Windsor) Smith adaptations of original Robert E. Howard Conan stories, Rogues in the House and Red Nails. Both are well done with Red Nails being particularly impressive, showcasing what was perhaps Smith's best art on the series. Rogues in the House is probably my favorite single Conan story and I read this comic before I read the REH prose story, so Smith's visions of the foppish nobleman Murilo, the evil red priest Nabonidus, and the ape-like Thak definitely colored my impressions of the story when I finally read it.
   So anyway, there's another collection complete. Now, what can I hunt down next...

2 comments:

Cromsblood said...

I'm Jealous.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

They are pretty nifty, I must say.