Tuesday, December 25, 2012

On the Hills and Everywhere

   If you're looking for a Christmas story to warm your heart, might I recommend Manly Wade Wellman's tale of John the Balladeer, On the Hills and Everywhere. John doesn't take part in this one, but rather relates it to a group of children while their folks are cooking Christmas dinner.
   John tells the story of two neighbors, former friends, who have had a falling out. One of the men hires a traveling carpenter to build a fence between the properties, but gets something far different and far better than what he asked for. This is one of Wellman's mountain tales and it has that same home-spun quality that his best stories have. Trust me, this one will bring a smile to your face.

3 comments:

Keith said...

I second the recommendation. This is a good Christmas tale.

Creep said...

Some of the problems I often have with the Silver John stories is I'm not very religious. While this story has a great deal of religious sentiment to it I still enjoyed it and it struck a chord with me. I guess that just goes to show how good a storyteller Wellman was. His stories are captivating enough for me to ignore the themes I don't agree with.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I'm not a religious sort either, creep, but I can understand Wellman's faith and go with it in the John the Balladeer stories, so I know what you mean.