Monday, December 10, 2012

Weekend Report

 Had a fairly quiet weekend, which was what I wanted. Did a good bit of reading. I read Broadway Bounty by Robert J. Randisi, which I'll review in my next post. Did some non fiction reading about Charles Dickens and the Pre-Raphaelites. That led to me writing a post about Conan comics artist Barry Windsor Smith and his connection to the Pre-Raphaelites, which I deleted after about ten minutes because I decided I hadn't done the subject or the artists justice. Expect to see an expanded version of that later with more information.
   Read a bunch of stories from volume #12 of the Dark Horse Savage Sword of Conan reprints which led to the post below about Rudy Nebres. Overall the stories in this book aren't terribly well written, but there's some good art. Chuck Dixon will be along in volume #13 and the writing quality will improve.
   Movie and TV wise I watched the Christmas episode from the first season of the regenerated Doctor Who, The Unquiet Dead, which features Charles Dickens and zombies. Now THAT's a Christmas episode. Also watched several episodes of Kung Fu. I'm about halfway through season two on my re-watch of the entire series. The show has hit its stride and there are some really well done stories.
   I watched Scrooge,  the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim. This is one of my two favorite versions of Dickens' classic. What's the other? That would be telling. I'll try to put up a post about both versions in the not too distant future.
   Otherwise I spent the weekend just chillin and watching my cat Bruce practice his mixed martial arts moves on my Christmas Tree.

No comments: