Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Conan the Unread

   If you read my Savage Memories series last year you may recall that by the mid 80s I was no longer reading Marvel Comics' Conan comic books. As a result, several of their stand-alone Graphic Novels aren't in my collection. (I did buy one called Conan the Rogue because it had John Buscema artwork, which had a low print run and has become very expensive in the collectors market. Go me.)
   Yesterday I was bumping around Ebay and I saw the cover for Conan: The Horn of Azoth. I recalled that this was based on Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway's original script for the second Conan movie, Conan the Destroyer. The script was changed greatly by the time the cameras rolled, so I thought it might be fun to see the original story.
   That of course led to more looking around and I spotted Conan: The Ravagers Out of Time. Hmmm, Conan and Red Sonja and Kull together again for the first time. Loves me a crossover and it's a Roy Thomas Conan story I haven't read. Got to get that.
   And then I saw Conan: The Skull of Set. A Conan comic by Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy, the team supreme on Marvel's Master of Kung Fu comic? Need that, yep.
   So then I spent the next half hour looking at the various sellers who had these three Graphic Novels, trying to find decent copies at a reasonable price. Found em and ordered em.
   Now of course I'll have to track down all the Marvel Conan graphic novels I don't have because I've started a new set and I must possess them all. It's what I do.

3 comments:

TheManuel said...

Did you ever read "Skull of Set". This is one of the couple of Conan GN's I don't own because I stopped trying to buy them after I realized I did not like most of Marvel Conan's non Roy Thomas material. The other one is "The Witch Queen of Acheron" by Don Kraar, one of my least liked Conan comics writers.

However, I did notice this one was written by Doug Moench. Even though I hated Doug's stint in KC, he did turn out a pretty entertaining story for SSoC #180: "The Tomb of Lost Visions" so I could take a chance on him again with this book.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yep, I eventually tracked 'em all down and read them. As you say, some were better than others. Moench did a decent job.

TheManuel said...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can snag "Skull of Set", then.