Sunday, March 31, 2013

Doctor Who: The Bells of St. John


 Well this is a bit more like it. Last September, after the first half of season 7 of the revived Doctor Who, I mentioned that I hadn't been too thrilled with the first set of episodes. Part of that was growing tired of Amy and Rory, and part of it was producer/head writer Steven Moffat's tendency to ignore logic for the sake of a big image.
   In the Bells of St. John, the first episode of the second half of the season, the Ponds are gone, though Amy is referenced on a book cover, and the new companion Clara, played by the extremely cute Jenna-Louise Coleman, is a breath of fresh air, her rapid fire delivery of lines almost managing to keep up with Matt Smith's Doctor. I'm glad to see the romantic angle return, as I didn't think Amy worked as well as a married woman, though I did like Rory a lot initially.
   The plot for the first episode is fairly lightweight, but serviceable, and I didn't see any major plot holes. So maybe things will settle down and be a bit more my speed. The Doctor was very heroic in this one, much as he was in his very first episode, the Eleventh Hour. Glad to see him back in good form. So, overall a thumbs up to the first episode of the second half of season seven. Taken with the news that David Tennant will be back, this has been a pretty good weekend for Doctor Who.

1 comment:

Paul R. McNamee said...

I really hope to watch it tomorrow night. Avoiding spoilers 'til then!