Monday, March 25, 2013

Karl Edward Wagner's Kane Returns in New Hardbacks

   Got a notice from Centipede Press that the publisher has acquired the rights to reprint the adventures of Karl Edward Wagner's hero-villain (Karl hated the term anti-hero) the immortal Kane. I know a lot of folks have been waiting for this as the Nightshade Press hardback books have been out of print for some time and have become very expensive in the collectors market. Even the old Warner paperbacks demand high prices.
   The plan is for the books to be illustrated, and Centipede is looking at possible artists right now.
   There would be four hardbacks, one for each novel, Darkness Weaves, Bloodstone, and Dark Crusade, and a volume collecting all the short stories. I'm hoping the size and format will be in line with the recent Centipede KEW horror collections so I can line it all up together on the shelf. No word on pricing, but hopefully the books will be in line with the other Wagner volumes as well. An affordable set of Kane books for new readers and old fans.
   KEW's estate has reported that the Kane books will be available as Ebooks this year as well. A Good year for Kane fans.

13 comments:

Bill King said...

This is the best news I have heard in a while. Thanks for passing it on!

Paul R. McNamee said...

Great! I don't know about price. I think illustrated Centipede would be pricy. It would be nice if they make paperbacks, too, just to drum up some new fans.

I have the NightShade Books editions, so I'll think about these.

I will definitely acquire e'book versions, though, to have as backups!

Thanks for the update!

The Wasp said...

Well that's great news. Lack of space and parsimony means I doubt I'll buy them. Still, illustrations are tempting.

Taranaich said...

Yes!

JasonZavoda said...


The Ebooks news is especially good to hear.

Jason M Waltz said...

Wow, cool news!

Yes, could get pricey, but man-oh-man will I have to look long and hard.

David J. West said...

Oh yeah! Great news!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news! I a few of the paperbacks and the 1st volume of the nightshade books.I'll try and get these.

John Corey said...

Did they give you an inkling of the time frame?

Charles R. Rutledge said...

John, no specific time as of yet.

David said...

Knowing Centipede each book will be $300.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

David, having learned more about the project, I'm afraid they may indeed be pricey. I was hoping for something similar to the Best Horror Stories of KEW, but I guess we'll see.

John Mayer said...

Karl didn't hate the word "antihero," actually; he hated its misapplication to Byronian protagonists. Its proper application is to nebbish characters such as Will Loman or various Woody Allen characters.