Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lovecraftian Postscript

   In an odd bit of coincidence, while scanning the bargain books at Barnes & Noble two Sundays ago, I spotted a hardback called H.P. Lovecraft: Nightmare Countries. It turned out to be a very much chopped down version of I Am Providence, the biography of Lovecraft that I was currently reading, but done as a small coffee table book with lots and lots of pictures. Since I am Providence only had a few small black & white pictures, this book made an excellent companion to the bigger biography. There are shots of the people and places and things discussed in I Am Providence. Want to see all the houses where Lovecraft lived? Got it. Lovecraft's marriage license? Check. Pictures of Lovecraft's influences like Dunsany, Machen, and so forth? Covered.
   And of course it was in the bargain bin so it was only $19.95. A steal.
   I will note that the biographical information is well chosen, so this is actually a pretty decent biography as well as a nice picture book. If you, or someone you know wants a crash course in Lovecraft's life, without wading through the massive tome that is I am Providence, this is the book to get.

1 comment:

Keith said...

I will be going to the local Barnes and Noble as soon as is practically possible. Hopefully this title will be there.