Friday, March 08, 2013

More About I Am Providence Vol l

   This just gets better and better. The last couple of chapters of S.T. Joshi's I Am Providence Volume I detail the writing of H.P. Lovecraft's early fiction. These are stories we're all familiar with like FROM BEYOND, NYLARTHOTEP, THE PICTURE IN THE HOUSE, and so forth, but here Joshi goes into fascinating detail about dates of composition, influences, and publication. He tells you what stories were based on Lovecraft's dreams and then gives you snippets from the letters relating those dreams showing you how much was taken directly from the dream. For instance, THE STATEMENT OF CHARLES DEXTER WARD comes close to being a dream written down verbatim, with only the names changed to protect the dreamer.
   And during all this Joshi is still giving the day to day details of Lovecraft's life. What friends came to visit. What trips he took. What he thought of books he was reading.  As you can tell, I'm really taken with this book. This is the most fun I've had reading a biography in decades.

2 comments:

Brian Murphy said...

Wow, okay, now I will plan to buy this. Joshi owes you a 10% commission on that sale!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I think you'll be very pleased with the books, Brian.