Sunday, April 07, 2013

A Lovecraftian Treasury

   I bought issue #267 of Famous Monsters of Filmland, because frankly, how could I not? Just look at that lineup. Gerry Anderson, H.P. Lovecraft, and King Kong! What I wasn't expecting though was that this issue of the venerable magazine would contain three of the more interesting and informative articles on Lovecraft and his mythos that I have read in some time. Seriously, this is good stuff.
   First is The Creation of Cthulhu by S.T. Joshi, which is a great article about the probable influences of Lovecraft's creation of his most famous creature. Plus you get a crash course in the correct pronunciation of Cthulhu, which is much closer to Cloo-Loo than Ka-thu-loo as most folks, including myself pronounce it.
   Then we have Lovecraft's Acolytes by Robert M. Price, which is a detailed explanation of how writers like Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, and Frank Belknap Long came to write in Lovecraft's world. Price then goes on to talk about the next waves in Lovecraftian pastiches by Henry Kuttner, Robert Bloch, Fritz Leiber, Ramsey Campbell, Brian Lumley, and Lin Carter. I even learned of a few short stories and novels that I need to track down and read.
   Finally we have Joshi's The New Mythos Writers, which brings us up to date on the current writers of Lovecraftian fiction, which includes several folks published by my own publisher, Arcane Wisdom, which means I'm sort of connected, if only tenuously.
  There are several more excellent articles about Lovecraft in the magazine but these are the standout three. If you're a Lovecraft fan you really want this issue. I see this as a descendant of the near legendary HPL fanzine from days of yore, and something that Lovecraft fans and collectors will be seeking in the future. Don't miss out.

5 comments:

Walker Martin said...

Thanks for talking about this issue. I just ordered a copy from amazon.com

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I think you'll be pleased, Walker.

The Wasp said...

Looks fun. Honest to God, I didn't know FM still existed.

Keith said...

I think I've seen copies at the local B&N in the past. I'll have to see if they have it in stock.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Wasp, yeah this is a new version, but done very much in the spirit of the original.They have a great website too.

Keith, they stock it at my local B&N, so hopefully they have it at yours.