Saturday, April 27, 2013

Run

   In the past I've talked about my mother's reading of Gothic Romance novels when I was a small child and how I always think of them as "Girl running from house" books because all of the covers seem to be variations on that same theme. Those covers fascinated me, and in fact they still do. Over the years I've tried to read some of the books and usually found them not to my tastes. but hey, the covers are fantastic. Through the magic of the internet I've managed to accumulate quite a few of these images. The amazing thing is, I actually remember some of these covers from when I was five or six years old. Anyway, here's some I found on EBay the other day. Click on the pic and look at the variety of ways artists illustrated what was basically the same scene over and over. The only artist I can identify is Lou Marchetti. He did the covers for Memory of Evil and Fog Island. Marchetti had a varied career as an artist and a lot of his work and information on the man can be found here:

http://loumarchetti.com/

4 comments:

Keith West said...

Interesting. I wonder how much variation the plots have.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Keith, according to my mom they all have very similar plots, but I suppose that's true of many genres. She compared them to whodunnits, which usually just change out locations and suspects.

Barrymore Tebbs said...

The covers for Dark Stars Over Seacrest and Secret for a Pale Lover were painted by George Ziel.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Thanks for the info, Barrymore. I'll have to look Ziel up.