Sunday, May 19, 2013

How They Met Themselves

   Spent the morning working on the edits for my Carnacki the Ghost Finder story. The basic premise was inspired by a pen and ink drawing by the Pre-Raphaelite artist Dante Gabriel Rossetti, called How They Met Themselves, which shows a young couple meeting glowing duplicates of themselves in a dark forest. Rossetti was apparently fascinated by the idea of doppelgangers. The concept appears in his poetry and in his paintings and drawings. However he never gave any real explanation of just what's going on in this drawing, referring to it simply as the "bogie" drawing.
    Some have suggested that he may have been inspired by the work of Percy Bysshe Shelley, who claimed to have seen his own double more than once.
   In any case, I've long been fascinated by the drawing and always thought it would make a good basis for a story. I had tried to use it as a starting point for a sword & sorcery yarn, but it never quite worked out, so when the chance came to write a Carnacki story I decided to try it as a ghost story. Hopefully it works.

3 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Interesting inspiration.

Of course, when I read the blog post title, I thought you had a scoop on the 'Doctor Who' 50th anniversary special!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Heh! Wish I did, Paul.

lk said...

WOW what a cool idea. Send it over here. Now! LK