Saturday, May 25, 2013

Moving On

   I was talking to my friend Chris the other night, about culling books and about how hard it was sometimes to let certain books go, even though I would likely never read them again, and if I wanted to, they weren't hard to replace in this age of Amazon and e-books. I guess I always feel that I'm in some way betraying an earlier version of myself. As if I'm saying that the stuff that was once so important to that long ago me doesn't matter anymore.
   When I moved nine years ago I got rid of a lot of books. And in the time that I've been in my new place, there are many books that I brought along that have remained untouched. Most are on subjects that no longer interest me. I have let some of the things go. I got rid of twenty or so books on Jack the Ripper a couple of years back. Ditto a big bunch of forensics and true crime books. I just don't study that sort of thing these days and I'm not writing that kind of stories much anymore. Not only that, but forensic science has advanced so much in the past decade that most of those books weren't of much use anymore.
   Today I've been culling and packing books again for donating to the Friends of the Library sale. Some fiction, some non-fiction. And again I have that slightly melancholy feeling of letting some past version of myself down. But I'm not that guy anymore. No point in hanging on to his stuff.

4 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Charles, I can understand that. I let most of my non-fiction occult studies stuff go. I had a ton, but I'm not that interested in that stuff, now. Though I hope I could pull the data out of my mind when a horror story called for it.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yeah, Paul, I can still call up most of the police procedural stuff I learned too.

Keith West said...

I need to do a purge. I'm about at that point. But I'm not getting rid of my Jack the Ripper books. At least not most of them.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I kept Sugden's Complete History of Jack the Ripper, Keith. Thought it the most comprehensive.