Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pickman's Other Model

   A comment from my pal Paul reminded me that there had once been an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's story Pickman's Model on the 1970s TV series Night Gallery. I couldn't recall ever seeing the episode, but as luck would have it, it was available free on HULU. So I bumped over and watched the show while I ate breakfast this morning.
   As adaptations go, it's not very true to the source material. Other than having an artist named Pickman who paints monsters from life, it doesn't have much to do with Lovecraft's original story.
   That said, it IS a very Lovecraftian story, with references to elder races and the hideous habits of ghoulish creatures who dwell in nighted tunnels beneath our very feet. And I think Lovecraft might have liked the depiction of Pickman's studio, crowded with macabre paintings of ghouls going about their unspeakable acts.
   While digging around I found an article from TV Guide which showed the making of the monster in Pickman's model, which I have posted above. And, should you wish to watch the Night Gallery version of Pickman's Model, here's the link to HULU:

http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/58795

2 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Charles, thanks for the update. I know I've seen that painting in some visual medium - either t.v. or movie - somewhere along the line.

I forgot the Night Gallery concept was to intro each episode with a painting - probably custom to match the story.

They also adapted "Cool Air", if you want to hunt it down.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I need to check out the Cool Air adaptation. Hopefully it's closer to HPL than this one.