Thursday, May 09, 2013

To Buy of Not to Buy

   Last night at dinner, Cliff, Jim and I were discussing the collector mentality and the drive to keep buying something just because you've always bought it or because you have a complete set. I mentioned that I was trying to cut back on some of that because, frankly, I'm just running out of room to put things. I swore, after the big clear-out when I moved a few years back, that I would never allow my collection to get so out of hand again.
   I've done better about it in the last few years. For instance when I decided Brian Wood wasn't the right writer for Conan, I bailed on the comic, even though up until that point, my collection of Dark Horse's Conan was complete.
   It may again be time to put my money where my mouth is, or rather to stop giving Dark Horse money for something I don't like. That would be the King Conan trade collections. I was thumbing through the new trade last night when I got home and it's terrible. In fact, for the last two volumes the stories have been really bad and the art worse. Were this a current comic book I wouldn't be buying it. And there are still a minimum of four volumes to go. The collector in me, who is saying "But...but I have them all!" is struggling with the logical guy who's saying "You'll never look at this again. Stop wasting money and space."
   There's little point in me dropping the other Marvel Conan  reprint, the Conan Chronicles, (though no promises) because there's still some decent art, but King Conan is on the chopping block.

3 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

I hear ya! Though, it seems when I finally cut down on acquiring one set of things, something else quickly fills the vacuum.

Keith West said...

You got that right, Paul.

I've started to use a rule of thumb to help me not collect so much: am I going to read this within the next [insert time frame here]? The time frame is somewhat flexible depending on what's going on in my life and what the item is. A graphic novel has a shorter time frame than a 500+ page novel, for instance.

How well does it work? Not all that well, but it's better than nothing.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Thanks for the input guys. The thing I keep doing is buying big hardback books or collections that take up a lot of space but don't have a good re-read likelihood. That means that I'll look at it once but never touch it again. I've already started getting most current fiction for my Kindle, which stops a lot of that, but some of the other stuff I buy just has a high 'cool' factor, and isn't something I'm really going to want after I've read it once. I've bought quite a few art books on impulse and now they just take up space. I need to lock down on that aspect. We'll see how that goes...