Thursday, May 09, 2013

Vampires, She-Devils, and Holmes. Oh My!


   As we know, I am a sucker for a crossover. Thus I had watched the various issues of Dynamite's Prophecy slide by, thinking perhaps I'd pick up the inevitable trade when the cross company crossover mini-series completed. So last night I took the plunge.
   I enjoyed the story quite a bit. You'll see why in a moment, I think. It begins with Sherlock Holmes looking in to a mysterious death at the British Museum. Well heck, I mean it's Holmes, so that's a plus right there. Then it leaps to the scene of a Mayan human sacrifice ritual being performed by Kulan Gath. Gath is, of course the creation of Michael Moorcock, James Cawthorn, and Roy Thomas and first appeared in the legendary Conan/Elric crossover back in Marvel's Conan the Barbarian issues 14 and 15. Gath went on to fight Red Sonja, Spiderman, The X-Men, and lord knows who else.
   And who should show up to battle Gath in the Mayan city, but Red Sonja. A double sword & sorcery connection. How did Sonja and Gath end up in America in 632 A.D. ? That would be telling. Violence ensues and we learn that Gath is planning to use the power created by the Mayan's predicted end of the world to remake reality in his own image. Sonja tries to stop him but he escapes into the time stream. She follows and runs into Dracula and Vampirella. Well of course she does.
   But wait! Then Herbert West shows up with his copy of the Necronomicon. Yes, two creations of H.P. Lovecraft get into the action. Okay let's review.

Sherlock Holmes
Kulan Gath
Red Sonja
Vampirella
Herbert West
The Necronomicon.

   Yeah it's just nuts. And there are other surprise guest stars as well. I'll leave you to discover them on your own. I had a lot of fun with this crossover. Writer Ron Marz doesn't take events too seriously and the whole thing is a big sword & sorcery, Cthulhu Mythos, Vampire, Sherlockian romp through time with plenty of action. Artist Walter Geovani does a nice job depicting the wide variety of characters, backgrounds, and situations, though I didn't care for his version of Dr. Watson. That's a small quibble though. All and all this is what comics should be. Good art, a well told story, and lots of fun. (And yes, I will one day get around to explaining how Kulan Gath was created by Moorcock, Cawthorn, and Thomas. It's complicated but interesting.)

2 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

I am glad to read your take on this one. When I first saw the cover that had Red Sonja obediently clutched to Dracula's leg, I had trouble suspending disbelief.

But it sounds like a wild romp after all. I'll give it a chance and put in on my Comixology wishlist.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Worry not, Paul. That's one of those cover scenes that doesn't occur in the book. Sonja's reaction to being turned into a vampire is anything but submissive. If it has any major flaw it's that it has a big chunk in the middle which is some throwaway battle scenes that don't really move the story forward, but it's a comic book so people expect fights.