Thursday, June 06, 2013

Acquisitions

   Last night I got the first of a projected four volumes collecting Russ Manning's entire run on the Tarzan newspaper strip. This is a major big deal for me because Manning is my favorite Tarzan artist and I have wanted these strips in a quality collection literally for decades. And the best thing is, the book is just as good as I was hoping it would be. The reproduction is fantastic. The black and white strips are crisp and clear and the color strips are vibrant and dynamic. And of course the artwork is just gorgeous. Have I mentioned how much I like Russ Manning's Tarzan?
   Thank you IDW for this awesome package.

   My other purchase for the evening was Stephen King's new paperback original, Joyland. From the cover:

"Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever."

   Sounds pretty darn up and at em. Looking forward to spending some time in King's Dark imagination.

   So yeah, quality over quantity for last night's comic book store visit. I didn't get a ton of stuff, but what I got was darned nifty.

3 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Very nice.

My latest Amazon order arrived today. I picked up the final two DVD volumes of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - just enough time to squeeze them all in (with my kids) before the new cartoon starts in July.

Hank Reinhardt's Book of Knives to go along with his great Book of Swords.

And I finally gave in and spent the coin on the Kuttner-Moore Detour to Otherness collection from Haffner Press.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Some very cool acquisitions yourself there, Paul. Hank Reinhardt was a good guy. He was friends with my buddy Cliff Biggers and I met him several times over the years. I thought of him yesterday when I was reading an article where someone referred to 'chain mail' and 'plate mail', and I could hear Hank saying, "If it's made of chain it's mail automatically so chain mail is redundant and plate is just plate. There's no such thing as plate mail."

Paul R. McNamee said...

Good distinction to remember!