Friday, June 28, 2013

The Future of Comic Book Art?


   See this manga page? I "drew" this in about half an hour using a program called Comipo. The program gives you 3D models that you can move around in space. Change poses, faces, backgrounds, etc. When you're done it looks like line art, but it's really photos of 3D models. I can import backgrounds and such from other sources too. I could even make it black and white so it looks more like a real manga.
   I could write and draw an entire comic book like this and I learned to use the program as I went. Now obviously everyone doesn't want to draw comics that look like Japanese Manga, but it wouldn't be a lot harder to make a set of 3D models in the Marvel style. Think of an artist like Sal Buscema who used a lot of stock poses over and over.
   I don't see this technology replacing real comic book artists any time soon, but I could definitely see writers who can't draw being able to turn out sharp looking comics in the not too distant future. Heck, if you want to draw a manga you can do it now.

2 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

This would be a great tool for someone like me who doesn't/can't draw (I say can't, because I guess if I put the time in, I could learn.) But, I wouldn't see it as going to product. I mean, it could, but it would lack a personal art style.

I believe it would be great, though, if some like me wanted to storyboard an entire comic to pass over to the artist(s) for a starting point. (though, I would argue one should still know how to describe a comic via verbal scripting)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I thought the same thing about personal art styles, Paul, being a cartoonist myself. I don't know that that really bothers a lot of modern comic book readers though. Many manga in particular have a certain sameness of style. I look at this sort of like the early days of computer animation. Eventually I think the program could be made to simulate the style of a particular artist. Many comics artists do draw the same faces, poses, etc over and over.