Monday, September 09, 2013

Charles Rutledge's Book of Horror Volume 5

 Yes, it's mid September and that means it's time once again for me to post the table of contents for my annual  imaginary Horror Anthology. Were I an editor, and given free rein, this is the book I would compile. I always try and have the list up by September so that anyone who might wish to read some of these stories for the Halloween season will have time to track them down.
   This isn't a 'year's best' compilation, as some of these stories were written decades ago, but it does feature some new stories and some stories by friends of mine. Being a friend doesn't get you on the list, but it doesn't keep you off either, and truthfully the stories by Heath Lowrance, Kealan Patrick Burke, and James A. Moore were some of my favorite horror tales I've read in a long time.
   For my other choices, I've tried to cover a wide range from the horror genre. Charles Dickens' THE SIGNALMAN is one of my all time favorites, as is THE ASH TREE, by M.R. James. The ending of ASH TREE still packs considerable punch.
   WHERE THE SUMMER ENDS is one of those tales that could only come from the South and from the dark imagination of Karl Edward Wagner and MURGUNSTRUMM, the longest story on the list, is one of Hugh B. Cave's creepiest and most justly famous stories.
   The other stories, by the usual suspects, King, Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, etc, are all yarns that I've read many times. Some are spooky. Some are disturbing. And some are just flat out horrifying. So anyway, here are this year's unlucky thirteen tales of terror. As ever, I wish you shadow haunted days and sleepless nights.



1. Black Train Blues by James a. Moore

2. Bad Sanctuary by Heath Lowrance

3. The Tent by Kealan Patrick Burke

4. A Black Solitude by H. Russel Wakefield

5. Gray Matter by Stephen King

6. The Ash Tree by M.R. James

7. When It was Moonlight by Manly Wade Wellman

8. Where the Summer Ends by Karl Edward Wagner

9. Murgunstrumm by Hugh B. Cave

10. The Signalman by Charles Dickens

11. The Haunter of the Dark by H.P. Lovecraft

12. The Double Shadow by Clark Ashton Smith

13. City of the Seven Winds by Joseph Payne Brennan
   

7 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Very good choices, there.

John Mayer said...

A well-considered list.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Thanks, Paul and John. I spend a long time putting the list together every year, going over old favorites and considering new ones.

Keith West said...

82 Looks like I've got some reading to do. I know I've read the Wellman and Wagner, and I think the Dickens. Not sure about the others. I've got the complete M. R. James, so I know that one won't be hard to get my hands on. Ditto for the Cave and the Smith. I probably have the Wakefield and the King, but I'll have to check when I get home. I might have the Brennan. I hope I do.

Not sure about the others. Would you happen to have time to list where your selections can be found? Or give the URL for a thorough horror bibliography like the ISFDB does for science fiction?

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Keith, I read Bad Sanctuary and The Tent on my Kindle. I read Black Train Blues in manuscript, but it was published in issue #9 of Midnight Echo Magazine, which is also on Kindle and may be on other e-book platforms. Info here:

http://midnightechomagazine.com/

Creep said...

I finally got around to posting my own anthology to my blog in case you wanted to compare.

Creep said...

That address is: http://indecentexposurereviews.blogspot.com/