Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The 2013 Fright Flick Festival

Been gathering films for this year's Halloween Fright Flick Festival, which begins on the 1st of October. I jumped the gun a bit, watching  The Watcher in the Woods and The Son of Frankenstein, but I've managed to keep my hands off the other DVDs. So what do I have in store? So far I have:

The Innocents. The 1961 adaptation of Henry James' 'The Turn of the Screw'. Been years since I watched this movie. I remember it as being darn creepy.

Count Dracula. The 1977 BBC mini series starring Louis Jourdan as the Count. Haven't seen this since it originally aired. Hope it doesn't suck. heh heh heh...

Frankenstein Unbound. An old favorite from 1990. This is probably my favorite Roger Corman film. It has horror, monsters, and time travel. Who could resist?

Universal Horrors. Cliff is loaning me his blu-ray set of the original Universal Horror films so I plan to watch Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, and The Wolf Man. Classics all.

That's the list as it stands. I'm sure other films will occur to me as the season gets up and running. I usually watch the original version of The Haunting every year. Hocus Pocus might be due for a rewatch this time around. We shall see.

2 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Great lineup.

I enjoy that BBC Count Dracula, mostly because it stuck so very close to the source. In hindsight, that might not be the best because it's a different medium.

It also suffers from the BBC habit of switching film for exterior and tape for interior. I am used to that after years of Doctor Who but it can be jarring and takes the quality down a notch.

Still though - great stuff and I think Frank Finlay's Van Helsing is my favorite portrayal.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I have virtually no memory of it, Paul, but I was looking for a different take on Dracula to watch this year and happened to recall this one. Yeah, Doctor Who got me used to the film/video thing as well. Still can be kind of jarring. Still, it lends a certain charm to some old BBC productions. For all their flaws I still prefer the BBC Chronicles of Narnia to the more recent Hollywood versions.