Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Where to Find the Horrors

My buddy Keith asked for a list of where I read these stories. I try to be helpful when I can.


1. Black Train Blues by James a. Moore

   I actually read this in manuscript, but it was published in issue #9 of Midnight Echo Magazine, which is also on Kindle. Info here:

http://midnightechomagazine.com/

2. Bad Sanctuary by Heath Lowrance

   Downloaded this one for my Kindle.

3. The Tent by Kealan Patrick Burke

  Another Kindle purchase.

4. A Black Solitude by H. Russell Wakefield

   From The Best Stories of Russell Wakefield. Academy Chicago. 1982

   5. Gray Matter by Stephen King

   From the 1978 Doubleday collection, Night Shift.

6. The Ash Tree by M.R. James

   From the collection Ghost Stories of Antiquary, originally published in 1904. Available as e-book.

7. When It was Moonlight by Manly Wade Wellman

   From Worse Things Waiting. Carcosa 1973.

8. Where the Summer Ends by Karl Edward Wagner

   From The Best Horror Stories of Karl Edward Wagner, Volume 1. Centipede Press 2012.

9. Murgunstrumm by Hugh B. Cave

   From Murgunstrum and Others. Carcosa 1977. (Also available as an e-book.)

10. The Signalman by Charles Dickens

   From The Signalman and Other Ghost stories. Academy Chicago, 2005.

11. The Haunter of the Dark by H.P. Lovecraft

   From The Best of H.P. Lovecraft, Del Rey 1982.

12. The Double Shadow by Clark Ashton Smith

   From The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith Vol 3. Nightshade Books 2007

13. City of the Seven Winds by Joseph Payne Brennan

   From The Feaster From Afar. Midnight House Books, 2008.
   

8 comments:

Keith West said...

Many thanks. The first three and surprisingly the Lovecraft were the only ones I didn't have. They're now bought and downloaded. All the others I have (somewhere) although not necessarily in the editions listed.

Creep said...

Not to steal your thunder but you can also find Karl Edward Wagner's "Where the Summer Ends" in Kirby McCauley's "Dark Forces" and Hugh B. Cave's "Murgunstrumm" in Stephen Jones' "Mammoth Book of Terror". Used copies of both these anthologies should be pretty cheap depending on condition and easy to find.

Keith said...

"Murgunstrum" is available as an ebook from Wildside Press.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

No worries, creep. The list was about where I read them, so any other sources are welcome.

Creep said...

This is actually a pretty good idea. Think I'll compile my own selection of short stories. I own that Karl Edward Wagner Centipede Press edition. It's a beautiful book. "Where the Summer Ends" is a great story but I think if I were editing an anthology the first one would contain "Sticks".

Charles R. Rutledge said...

We're of the same mind, Creep. If you check September of 2009 on this blog you'll see that I chose Sticks the very first time I did this.

Creep said...

So oops. I haven't been following your blog for very long so I didn't realize you'd done this before. No anthology is complete without at least one Karl Edward Wagner story. At a guess is "River of Night's Dreaming" going to be in next year's anthology?

Charles R. Rutledge said...

We'll see what the year brings. There are still plenty of KEW stories to choose from.