Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Once Upon a Time


   I've gotten hooked on ABC's Once Upon a Time. I had caught about half an episode a couple of months back and noted two things. The concept was really good and the Evil Queen was hot. That was about the extent of my involvement. Last weekend I read an article about the show which intrigued me a bit more. My pal Cliff had mentioned that he had bought OUaT on Blu-Ray and he was kind enough to loan me the first season. After three episodes I was hooked.
   The basic concept of the show is that all the story book characters like Snow White, Prince Charming, Little Red Riding hood, etc really existed. Snow White's step mom, the Evil Queen, placed a curse on everybody in the magic realm, sending them to our world and replacing their memories with false ones so that they believe they have always lived here. For 28 years nobody ages and no one notices in the town of Storybrooke. The Queen is the Mayor and she pretty much rules the town.
   However Snow White and Price Charming had a daughter and they managed to spirit her away to our world as an infant before the Queen's curse took effect. On her 28th birthday, the girl's 10 year old son, whom she gave up for adoption, arrives on her doorstep with a crazy story about a town called Storybrooke and his wicked adopted mom who is actually the Evil Queen from the fairy tales. His birth mom, Emma, takes him back to Storybrooke and things get interesting.
   I'm not sure why the concept appealed to me so much. There is something about those old old stories that seems to resonate with folks and it's fun to see these familiar characters in a new way. The writing on the show is clever and the plots move fast. The show switches back and forth from the present in our world to the past in the fairy tale realm, so you get to see the characters as both versions. One thing I really liked was that she show builds slowly so that early on you're not sure if Emma's son Henry is delusional of if his adopted mom really is the Evil Queen.
   Anyway, I'm rolling up on the end of season one and I've enjoyed it tremendously. Glad I decided to give it a shot. Oh, and that Evil Queen? (actress Lana Parrilla) My initial assessment was correct. She's hot.

5 comments:

Keith West said...

I concur. She's hot.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Good man, Keith.

Rachel said...

I watched Season One myself and absolutely loved the first half but was really irritated with the show by the last several episodes. Due to that I never went back for another season. Not sure if I should include any spoilers at this point though so if you ever come back to it later maybe we can discuss how the season ended and what you thought of it... if you're interested of course. :)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Rachel, I finished up season one, so no spoilers here. Feel free to fire away.

Anonymous said...

I am in love with Regina or the Evil Queen! She is one beautiful woman! I love to find a woman like her!