Friday, November 08, 2013

The Colossal Conan

   As a collector, there are things that you need and things that you want. Usually the ones you need are, not surprisingly, items that you don't have. Often the things that you want are things you already have but that come in a different form. Different edition, different cover, and so forth. The Colossal Conan, a new collection from Dark Horse Comics comes under the category of Epic Want. This gigantic hardcover book is 1264 pages of comics, collecting issues #0 through #50 of the Dark Horse Conan comic book.
   Now here's the deal. I own the original comic books where these stories were published. I own the smaller hardback collections of the stories. I already have all of this material save the new cover and some essays by writers Kurt Busiek and Timothy Truman. I do not in any way, shape or form NEED this book.
   But...

   IT'S CONAN AND IT'S A HUGE BOOK, LIKE THE SIZE OF THE NECRONOMICON, AND IT'S CONAN AND IT'S ALL THE STORIES IN ONE PLACE AND IT WEIGHS AS MUCH AS A SMALL CAR AND IT'S CONAN AND I MUST HAVE A COPY!

   Ahem. So yeah, I'm getting the book.