Monday, February 17, 2014

Acquisitions

  The snow and ice caused me to have to wait for the weekend to get to the comics store. The only new comic I had waiting for me was CONAN:PEOPLE OF THE BLACK CIRCLE #4, which finishes up the mini series. I enjoyed it, though I still think Roy Thomas, John Buscema, and Alfredo Alcala did a better job back in the day.
   Did find a couple of packages waiting for me. My pal Cliff lets me have packages sent to his comic store because there's always someone there to receive them. One was the second volume in the collected boxing fiction of Robert E. Howard. Nifty and very pulpish cover on that one.
   The other package held all eleven volumes of THE NEW ADVENTURES OF FRANKENSTEIN written by Donald F. Glut, the creator of Doctor Spektor, Dagar the Invincible, Tragg and the Sky Gods, and other comic series. Each one of these magazines contains a full novel. Don has long been a  fan of the Universal Horror Monsters and really of monsters in general. His comic book work is full of references to Frankenstein, The Mummy, Dracula, Night of the Demon, Jekyll and Hide, and so forth, and these books contain much of the same. Over the course of the 11 books, Frankenstein's monster encounters Dracula, a werewolf, a mummy, dinosaurs, the Dark Gods from Dagar and Spektor, cavemen, sorcerers, robots, zombies, and all kinds of other horror tropes.
   And the best thing is, I bought this set directly from Don Glut himself! All are in near mint condition and all are autographed by Don. Don tells me that he is writing a 12th and final Frankenstein novel which will tie together all the monster's appearances in his work, including Doctor Spektor, The Invaders, Don's films (He's an Indy filmmaker too) and the novels. Looking forward to that.
   So yeah, lots of nifty stuff acquired over the weekend.

3 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

All good stuff - great stuff, even!

Anonymous said...

I finally ordered the second Fists of Iron book myself. I'm not a reader of boxing fiction, and I have never actually read all the way through to the end of the old Dennis Dorgan paperback, but... I am still looking forward to having the full set. It's a collection that needed to happen, and I want to support it.

Howard Andrew Jones

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I know what you mean, Howard. I enjoy REH's boxing stories (like his humorous Westerns) in small doses. It's not what drew me to him as a writer, but I try to support the REH foundation. Plus I'm enough of a collector that I want all those shiny new books.