Monday, February 24, 2014

Checking In

   I feel like I've been neglecting the blog so far this year, but truthfully I just haven't had that much to report. This blog was originally started to chronicle my reading habits and most of the posts over the years have been book reviews. At the moment, I'm not reading a ton of books. Part of that is I'm having trouble finding novels that hold my interest, and the other part is a recent flurry of writing activity.
   I'm well into a crime novel with my pal and frequent co-author James A. Moore. I've also got two short stories in the works,a YA book planned for later in the year and a couple of other book projects in various stages of pre-production as the film boys say.
   It's good to be busy, but I do miss all the reading time. Mostly I've been reading short stories and novellas by folks like William Preston, Josh Reynolds, Joe Konrath and others. I'll try to talk about that soon.
   I did get another nifty item for my Don Glut/Dr. Spektor collection and I'll post a pic and a bit of info later.
   Anyway, that's what's going on. I'm sure some new mania will catch my attention soon and I'll have more to blog about.

2 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

I understand, and it's good that you are writing.

I've been getting seduced by the ease of reading comics over prose - especially when the kids are tearing up the house on the weekend.

So, my novel reading has slowed. Though, I did get a solid hour of reading on Saberhagen's First Book of Swords yesterday.

The bunch of comics I read this weekend - Paradox, Savage Sword of Kull, Legenderry, Manifest Destiny, and I even cracked open Doctor Spektor last night; read the intro & the first tale.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Paul, yes I've been reading a lot of comics too, and they are a good substitute when the prose reading hits a snag, for whatever reason.

For me, those intros are some of the best parts of the Doctor Spektor volumes. Fascinating glimpse into the workings of Gold Key Comics in the 1970s. Don Glut is an interesting guy, being someone who came from fandom and ended up leaving his mark on the industry, even creating his own small 'universe' of interconnected characters.