Thursday, February 13, 2014

Stardock Beckons

   I started a tradition, back when I was a mere lad of twelve, that every time we have snow here in Georgia, I read Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser story, Stardock. That's the one where the twain climb the great mountain Stardock in search of jewels and adventure. There's much talk of snow and ice and cold, and the boys face monsters, woo invisible women, and fight a pair of rival climbers with steel and cunning.
   So, since I'm not going anywhere and I have a nice mug of coffee and some oatmeal cookies, I think it's time I returned to the frozen wastes of Northern Nehwon (No when spelled backwards) and join those two hardy cragsmen, Fafhrd and the Mouser, as they climb into danger, action, and adventure.

2 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

If I had the day off and wasn't working from home, that sounds like a fine idea.

Though, I"d be more tempted to re-read Wagner's "Reflections for the Winter of My Soul."

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Another good one for a snowy day!