Sunday, April 27, 2014

No Bad Reviews?

A couple of folks have pointed out that I tend to write glowing reviews and never dislike anything. Here's the truth. I only review things I like. I'm not a critic. I'm a guy who reads a lot and I like to share things I enjoyed.
   In fact, when publishers, authors, publicists and such contact me and want to know if I'll review their books, I usually tell them up front. "I'll give it a look, but if i don't like it, I won't review it, because I probably won't finish it."
   This has caused a couple of publishers to stop offering me ARCs. They sent me a free book and I didn't review it. Sorry folks. If I'm not having a good time within 50 pages, I probably won't be finishing your book.
   Life is short and so is my attention span.

7 comments:

Keith West said...

I will occasionally write bad reviews to warn people away from books I think are particularly bad, but in general, I'm like you. I review the things I like.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Yeah, I don't want to spend any more time with a book I don't like than I have to. If I didn't want to read it, I sure as heck don't want to write about it. That said, there are a couple of scathing reviews on the blog if people want to dig. I pretty much savaged the recent Conan movie if memory serves.

Rachel said...

Yay for 50 pages! I'm totally with you on that one.

Have you read any China Mieville? For some reason he can get me past 50 pages even if I'm not enjoying myself overmuch. To me, he is world building > plot which I'm not super keen on but I just keep reading.

I had one other question, too. Do you know of a French comic called The Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec? There are some English language translations. Anyway, I caught the 2010 film adaptation and really enjoyed myself. I am thinking of looking into the comic even though I am a terrible graphic reader.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Rachel, I have read Mieville. Liked it so-so.

I had seen panels from The Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec but never read it. Don't know if it's been translated to English. I googled the movie and it looks wild.

Rachel said...

So-so is a good description for me on Mieville, as well. Some things I like quite a bit. Some things bore me. However, I can't get The City & the City and "unseeing" out of my head so it will always be worth it. What a cool concept.

Good call on the movie! That's exactly what it is. I definitely recommend it and would be interested in what you think if you give it a try. I hope they make more. The woman who plays Adele knocks it out of the park.

Jeri said...

I'm currently dragging my feet through the third book in a trilogy that I initially liked and really want to finish so I know what happens... I'm so with you on this. I should've quit on page 50. ;)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Jeri, yep, there's a time to let 'em go.