Thursday, May 08, 2014

By Its Cover

This is pretty darn cool. Though my copies of the two Carcosa Press Manly Wade Wellman collections were in great shape, the dust jackets were sort of tattered. I didn't care when I bought them, because I just wanted to read the stories. However a couple of years later I found really nice copies of the other two Carcosa collections and they made the two Wellman volumes look a bit shabby. Enter bookseller Dan Breen, who had bought the remaining books from Karl Edward Wagner's estate way back when and who happened to have one each of pristine dust jackets for WORSE THINGS WAITING and LONELY VIGILS.  Just put them onto my books. These things are so perfect that the books look like KEW mailed them to me this week. Note in the picture, that LONELY VIGILS is so glossy that I couldn't get a pic without glare.

4 comments:

Keith West said...

Sweet.

Note to completist self: Must get copy of Lonely Vigils to have full set.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Indeed, Keith. It's all the Thunstone and Pursuivant stuff, which you may already have but still worth having this volume.

Rachel said...

That Worse Things Waiting cover design is gorgeous! I would pick that up to read based on the cover alone.

(So, yeah, I guess I do judge a book.:)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Well in this case, you'd be right, Rachel. A fantastic book of stories.