Thursday, May 22, 2014

Lovecraft's Providence

   Last year, when I attended my first North Eastern Writer's Conference (aka Camp NECON), James A. Moore, Dan Foley, and I made an impromptu trip into Providence Rhode Island, the birthplace and home for most of his life, of H.P. Lovecraft. Going on memory, we were able to visit a few of the places where Lovecraft lived and to see a few of the locations from his stories. However, I wished then that I had come better prepared.
   This year, if time allows, and I make it back to Providence, I will be prepared with Henry L.P. Beckwith Jr's nifty guide to the city, LOVECRAFT'S PROVIDENCE. This book has maps, photographs, and even walking tours that will allow the traveler to visit all the happening Lovecraftian locations. The Shunned House? In there. The Charles Dexter Ward House? Covered. Lovecraft's favorite view of the city? It's there.
   This is a cool book, published by Donald M. Grant in 1979, and I've been looking for a good copy for a while. It arrived last night.

2 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Very nice. I did the walking tour one Halloween. It was a city sponsored event, though, so we had a nice guide but she was into history not Lovecraft, and was reading from her clipboard.

Fortunately I was with a friend who is an encyclopedia of knowledge, including the subject of Lovecraft. He filled in many details she was leaving out.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Very cool, Paul Apparently the RI Historical Society has a nice guide to Lovecraft's Providence. Going to get a copy of that too. I'll be really ready then.