Thursday, June 05, 2014

Batman 66 Meets The Green Hornet

My take on the BATMAN 66 series from DC has been a bit mixed. When I first heard the concept, I thought it a terrific idea. A comic based on one of my favorite TV shows from when I was a kid. A Batman comic in the style of 1966 series seemed like just the salve for the current gritty, doom and gloom interpretation of the caped crusader in comics. But the issues I read didn't really seem to get the FEEL of the TV series somehow.
   Enter Kevin Smith, writer of Clerks, Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back, Dogma and other comedy classics, and now doing a BATMAN 66 MEETS THE GREEN HORNET mini series. Smith knows his Batman and his Green Hornet. His narration is dead on and his dialogue could be pulled right from the show.
   The art, by Ty Templeton, is likewise spot on, though I get the idea that DC doesn't have permission to use Bruce Lee's likeness as Kato is the only character who doesn't seem to look like the actor who played him.
   Smith's story is a direct sequel to the two-parter from the Batman series where the Dynamic Duo met up with the Hornet and Kato. It even has the same villain, though with a twist that readers familiar with Captain America villain Baron Zemo will recognize.
   Oh and check out that Alex Ross cover. Man, that guy is good.
   All and all the first issue of this mini series is a great bit of comics story and art and something that reminds me that comic books can still be fun. The grim and the gritty need not apply.
   See you guys next issue. Same Bat Time. Same Bat Channel.

2 comments:

John Mayer said...

The Green Hornet wasn't a TV show; it was a radio show. I believe there was a short-lived TV series BASED on the radio show …

Though I will give credit to the TV show for finally, after a few years of laughable slapstick efforts to suggest martial arts, bringing the real thing to American audiences. You only had to see Bruce Lee spring into action once to know this was the genuine item.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

John, yeah the Green Hornet went for one season. Bruce Lee's contributions were very influential on my own martial arts career.