Monday, July 28, 2014

Kasey Lansdale: Restless

I don't generally do music reviews. In fact this is the first one at Singular Points, but if fits here, as the subject, Kasey Lansdale, is a member of the NECON family, which includes many of my favorite writers, artists, and other creative types. And also I've been listening to her CD, RESTLESS, nonstop since I returned from this year's NECON, where Kasey gave a concert to open the con.
   A little background. I don't listen to a lot of country music these days, but I grew up in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains so it was definitely background music to my childhood. I like the old stuff. The real stuff, steeped in blues and pain. I've little (read no) interest in the pop that currently passes for country. I grew up with Conway Twitty, Johnny Cash, Jim Reeves, Loretta Lynn, and yes, Elvis. I watched Hee Haw with my grandparents and I have a soft spot for Buck Owens and Roy Clark still.
   Kasey Lansdale is the real deal. The songs on Restless range from the wicked SORRY AIN'T ENOUGH to the slow and heartfelt BLAME YOU FOR TRYING. That last one practically bleeds regret and makes me wonder how someone as young as Kasey can get that sort of feeling into that kind of song.
   Then there's JUST ANOTHER GUY. One lyric from that one stays with me. "And for once he could really be a hero...if he'd just turn that car around." But you know he won't.
   I think my favorite song on the CD though is WHY CAN'T I? As you can probably guess, that's not a happy one. But it speaks to me, which is what we look for in music, so there you go.
   A word about the vocals before I go. Kasey has a very powerful voice (she sang A capella at NECON. Amazing.) and she can go from playful to soulful without missing a beat. She comes from a family of storytellers (her dad is author Joe Lansdale) and Kasey is a writer and editor of fiction as well as a singer. On RESTLESS she's got quite a few stories to tell and they're all worth listening to.

For more on Kasey, visit her website:

http://kaseylansdale.com/

No comments: