Saturday, August 23, 2014

Tarzan The Unauthorized

   In the early sixties, a publishing company called Gold Star, working under the mistaken impression that Edgar Rice Burroughs' character, Tarzan of the Apes, had gone into public domain, began publishing new Tarzan adventures. They put out five volumes before ERB Inc. let them know that they were in trademark infringement. Thus perished Tarzan: The New Series.
   I had never tracked these down for whatever reason, but then my ever generous pal Cliff found that he had two duplicates in his collection and passed them on to me. Now of course, being of the collector frame of mind, I couldn't just have two of a set of five. So now I'm hunting down the others. My most recent acquisition, TARZAN AND THE SILVER GLOBE, comes from the collection of writer Donald F. Glut, creator of Doctor Spektor, which is appropriate, given my interests. Three down and two to go.

2 comments:

Keith West said...

I've never heard of these. Are they British?

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Nope, American. Small print runs and you don't see them that much. Usually show up on Ebay for about twenty bucks. They're pretty bad, but of interest to a Tarzan collector.