Sunday, November 16, 2014

Stephen King's REVIVAL

   Just now finished up Stephen King's new one, REVIVAL. It took a little work because it's a slow starter, well over a hundred pages in before anything supernatural occurs. But when the weird kicks in, it really kicks in. The book has an interesting dedication, mentioning many of the heavyweights of horror, from Mary Shelley to Lovecraft to Arthur Machen. And as I read, I could see what influences each writer had, with the three mentioned above being perhaps the strongest.
   What interested me though, Lovecraft fan that I am, was how King used and adapted HPL's material, twisting to fit his own strange pantheon of supernatural beings. Though much is being made of the 'Lovecraftian' elements in REVIVAL, this is, by no means. a mythos novel. It just dances along the edge. I started the book this morning after breakfast and finished it at dinner time, so that shows you that I enjoyed it.
   Anyway, I don't want to give away any details, so this is a no synopsis review. You should read REVIVAL yourself. Recommended.

6 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

I've seen more than one person stating this is a good return to form for King. Nice to hear it from you, too!

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Paul, yes, this is a good one. King's been pretty uneven the last few years, but he's always worth a shot.

Rachel said...

I still have not got back to Joyland and it's made me very hesitant to pick up Stephen King. I have a checkered history with liking his works. Some speak to me and some do not. Though with how prolific he is I guess that's not too surprising. :)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Rachel, there are some of his I couldn't even finish, so I understand.

Bob R Milne said...

I found it very uneven, and far from "the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written" (as the cover blurb would have us believe). There was some great horror lurking in the shadows at the end, as you've mentioned, but what would have been the focus of a classic King tale is really just background.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Bob, I was starting to worry when I was over a hundred pages in and nothing spooky had happened, but I thought he pulled it out okay. I agree I would have liked the horror to be more of the focus.