Sunday, February 01, 2015

Pride and Prejudice 2005

  Just finished up the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice starring Keira Knightly. Yes I know it's ten years old but I'd never gotten around to watching it. Truthfully I was hesitant because I'm such a huge fan of the 1995 British mini-series that I didn't figure anyone else needed to film the novel anytime soon.
   Have to say that I enjoyed it quite a bit and was impressed with how much of the story the filmmakers managed to fit into two hours and nine minutes. I've always found Keira attractive, so that helped, and I thought her somewhat understated performance as Elizabeth Bennet was well done. Rosamund Pike was positively radiant as Jane Bennet. I was also glad to see Sally Sparrow herself, Carey Mulligan show up as Kitty Bennet. Mulligan also appears in an adaptation of my favorite Jane Austen novel, Northanger Abbey.
   And speaking of Kitty, during the first ten minutes or so of the film I was a little taken aback by the constant giggling of Kitty and Lydia, but then I decided that the director was trying to show not only the girl's resemblance to their mother, but also the level of discord that Mr. Bennet (Donald Sutherland) had to deal with on a daily basis. The settings of the film are perhaps a bit more realistic than the BBC version, though the subdued lighting sometimes approached the level of a Vermeer painting.
   I wasn't familiar with Matthew Macfadyen, who played Mr. Darcy, and though he's no Colin Firth, I thought he did a fine job. All in all, an enjoyable movie for a Sunday afternoon.

3 comments:

Tim Knight said...

Matthew Macfadyen is the lead in Ripper Street - great Victorian police serial, well worth checking out.

My Pride & Prejudice story: in that film, the house used for the Bennet's home was Groombridge Place (just outside Tunbridge Wells) and the PR company where I worked represented the house's owners, as its gardens were a visitor attraction at the time. I got to tour the set (sadly there were no actors about at the time; perhaps luckily as I probably would have exploded if I'd actually met Keira), touch all the bits and bobs I wasn't supposed to, push the swing etc

The house has never been open to the public, so this was a rare opportunity to have a poke around.

It was also used in the most recent mini-series of Day Of The Triffids. Most famously the house and gardens served as the backdrop for Peter Greenaway's The Draughtsman's Contract.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Ah, some cool insider info there, Tim. I need to watch Ripper Street. Heard some good things about it.

Tim Knight said...

The BBC foolishly axes it after two seasons, but Amazon has brought it back for a third season - and I believe a fourth is due (I'm only half-way through the third season at present)