Saturday, May 30, 2015

MY Superman Returns.

   Amazingly, DC Comics may have finally done something right. At the end of their company wide crossover, Convergence, they basically undid the CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, the mini series that got rid of all of the alternate realities in the DC Multiverse. All the old characters exist now, somewhere in their own alternate reality. What I really liked, was that in the final issue of the Convergence main series, it was the pre-crisis heroes Flash and Supergirl, along with the post crisis but pre Flashpoint Superman who saved the day. Not the grim and gritty current crop of New 52 characters, but the old guard.
   Also, during Convergence, DC ran a bunch of mini series featuring the older versions of the DC heroes and though sales figures are still coming in, it appears that some of these sold better than current DC titles.
   The best part? DC says that all these heroes can be used now for new stories and the hell with continuity. I'm all for that. It was great to see MY versions of Superman, The Justice Society, Shazam, Plastic Man, The legion of Super Heroes, etc, back in action. And now it looks like we may get to see them some more. Thanks for the ray of hope, DC. You were always my favorite comics company and it's nice to be able to say good things about you again.

PS. If you've been missing the REAL Superman, be sure and get the two issue Convergence Superman mini series, and watch the Man of Steel wade through the other super beings just like he's supposed to and still be the nicest guy on Earth. Just the way the Kents raised him.

6 comments:

Keith West said...

Thanks for this. DC was always my favorite comic company as well. I gave up on them years ago. Looks like I have a reason to go back to them.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Keith, I'm not expecting an immediate change. The first few months of the new comics will probably be more of the same stuff I didn't like, but at least there's a chance that things I enjoy might be on the way.

Brett Brooks said...

I hope you're right. I haven't picked up any of the Convergence stuff, mostly because Cliff was saying that it wasn't going to have a long-lasting impact. It'd be nice to have the real DC heroes back again. The New 52 is the biggest mistake they've ever made, IMO.

:)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I felt much the same, Brett, but just the chance that we could get some of the old guard back made me want to read a few of the Convergence books.

Paul R. McNamee said...

I'll try picking these up next time I'm at a comic shop if both issues are still in stock.

(Convergence) JSA, written by Dan Abnett, was great, I thought. And at 2 issues, it won't break your wallet, either.

And hey - Conan has muscles again over at Dark Horse's Conan the Avenger: Xuthal of the Dusk!

It's like homecoming week! ;)

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Paul, I enjoyed the JSA as well, and the SHAZAM. Still got a few more to read. basically whatever Cliff recommended.