Friday, July 10, 2015

A Short Stack of Comics

Did something last night I haven't done in quite a while. I sat down and read a stack of comic books. Back at the height of my comics reading, when I was buying ten or twenty titles a week, I would often sit down and read the whole stack at once.
My comics reading has dwindled over the last few years and when I do bring several titles home, it often takes me a while before I get around to reading them. This Wednesday night I picked up three comic books and last night I re...ad them back to back.
As some of you may recall I was fairly taken with the first issue of JLA (Justice League of America). Issue number two is just as good, with the core DC Superheroes, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, and the Flash, (with the addition of Cyborg) all acting in character. I hope DC can keep this up. It's nice to be able to read a comic with the heroes more or less as I remember them.
Read issue three of SWORDS OF SORROW. This one focused on heroes I'm not as familiar with, but it as still a lot of fun. The various mini-series attached to this title have been hit or miss, but Gail Simone's strong writing has kept the central book interesting and fun.
And finally issue two of Alan Moore's PROVIDENCE. The first issue had elements of H.P. Lovecraft's COOL AIR, and this one contains references to THE HORROR AT RED HOOK and THE SHUNNED HOUSE. As usual with Moore, this is sort of a mixed bag. He gets a little carried away describing the histories of various magic rituals. Nobody has been raped so far, but knowing Moore, I get worried every time a female character appears.
So yeah, reading comics. What a concept.

3 comments:

Paul R. McNamee said...

Cool. Looking forward to that JLA, though, I'm waiting in the collected trade.

I've been tending to read my pile every other Wednesday or Saturday - as if I wasn't already behind on reading everything else!

Keith West said...

I flipped through a JLA (or at least a Justice League title) at B&N the other night. It was the first chapter of the Darkseid War IIRC. Thoroughly enjoyed what I saw. I'll probably follow that title. I've gotten over the last few years where I usually pick up a collected trade edition rather than individual issues. I might make an exception in the case of the Darkseid War.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Keith, they've done some good stuff. This is yet another reboot, unconnected to earlier series, but so far it's good.

Paul, I usually just leave the comics on the counter and read one when I get time.