Saturday, September 12, 2015

A Triptych of Terror

Been doing a little reminiscing today, trying to recall just how I discovered the writing of H.P. Lovecraft. My operating theory has been that I read about HPL in Stephen King's book DANSE MACABRE and that led me to seek out Lovecraft's work and I ended up with the Del Rey collection, THE BEST OF H.P. LOVECRAFT. Sat down for a reread of Danse Macabre this afternoon and sure enough, when I reached the part where King talked about discovering the old gentleman from Providence, I recalled what had sparked my interest, and that was King's mentions of Cthulhu, Nylarthotep and HPL's other strange gods. I checked the dates on the books and everything fell into place. Danse Macabre came out in 1981 and the Del Rey HPL collection in 1982. Bada bing. Bada boom.
   Something I'd forgotten though, was that King was introduced to HPL by finding a box of books that had belonged to his father. One of those books was the Avon edition of THE LURKING FEAR AND OTHER STORIES which is pictured on the far left. King found HPL through that book and I found Lovecraft through King's book. It's like a gibbering slavering circle of unlife.

No comments: