Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Happy Birthday, Edgar Rice Burroughs!

Today is the birthday of Edgar Rice Burroughs, my first ‘favorite’ author and the man who created Tarzan, John Carter, and so many other amazing characters and worlds. There is still no other author who can give me the ‘sense of wonder’ I had when I was a child like Burroughs can. I was doing a reread of TARZAN AT THE EARTH’S CORE last night, ERB’s crossover between the ape man and Burroughs’ inner world saga, and my favorite Tarzan book. A few pages in and I was twelve again. So Happy Birthday, Ed. How much drearier this world would be without your imagination.

1 comment:

Paul R. McNamee said...

I'm knee deep reading two other books right now, so I won't be stopping for some ERB tonight.

But I did just read The Return of Tarzan month, so I think I'm good.

Happy b-day, ERB!