Saturday, November 07, 2015

Scooby-Doo Team-Up issue #13

  The pre-Flashpoint DC Universe lives on in strange places. One of those places is the delightful SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP, where the Mystery Incorporated gang have teamed up with everyone from Superman to Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. Appropriately enough, for issue 13, the Halloween issue, they teamed up with the triple threat of PHANTOM STRANGER, DEADMAN, and THE SPECTRE. How do I know these are the pre-New 52 versions of the characters? Mostly from Deadman's reference to his search for a 'crook with a hook for a hand', because Deadman's alter-ego, Boston Brand, was murdered by a man with a hook. Thus if Boston is still seeking that man, a storyline that was finished up decades ago, them this is the older version of the DC Universe. There are other clues as well, and guest appearances from other DC ghosts from THE HAUNTED TANK'S Jeb Stuart, to the old Quality Comics hero KID ETERNITY. Without a doubt, this is one of my favorite Comics in a long time.Thanks to writer Sholly Fisch for such a fun comic.

4 comments:

Bob R Milne said...

It's been a while since I was last in a comic book store, but my 5 year old has started watching the 'new' Scooby Doo cartoons on Netflix. Blew me away when they made a Hellraiser reference on the one episode - opened the box, opened the door, and slammed it on Pinhead mid-sentence. LOL

Charles R. Rutledge said...

It's nice to see clever writing on a 'kids' series, isn't it?

SangorShop said...

I'm well behind in my reading. Just now reading this blog post - and havent yet read this issue of Scooby-Doo Team-Up. But thought I would mention that both Julius Schwartz and Murphy Anderson told me that Manly Wade Wellman created the Phantom Stranger. Anderson told me that he recalled drawing stories by Wellman (Anderson was a fan), but most folks who can ID comics writers believe the Phantom Stranger stories were written by John Broome, and that Anderson may have bedn remembering other earlier non-series stories.

And yes, Sholly Fisch has written some pretty fun comics.

Steven R

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Steven, I'd heard that Manly was the creator of the Phantom Stranger as well, but never could get it confirmed, so I guess the verdict is still out. Thanks for chiming in with that.