Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Confession of an Easily bored Writer


   I can only tell a story one time. I have learned this the hard way. It’s why I don’t outline. It’s why I only describe works in progress in the most general terms, because even if I just tell someone the bare bones of a story, I’ll never write it. I am a story teller. But I can only tell it once.

   Sometimes, if an idea really intrigues me, I can write a couple of different versions of it, but only if no one else has seen it. Beyond a certain point though, an idea just leaves me. I am on to the next idea and the old one is left in the dust. I told it, and I don’t want to tell it again.

   I’m fine with editing, though I don’t enjoy it. Polishing and rewriting is fine once I have a completed story. But I have learned that my best stories, the ones I like best, were hammered out in a white heat. The longer something takes, the larger the likelihood I’ll abandon it. That’s part of the reason I write as quickly as I do. I have to get it on paper before it gets away.

  So anyway, if you ever wonder what happened to a project I mentioned and then never spoke of again, that’s usually what happened. I either wrote it and didn’t like it, or I told someone too much about it and got the urge to tell that particular story out of my system. Luckily, I have a lot of stories to tell.

1 comment:

Keith West said...

You're not the only writer who works this way.