Monday, March 28, 2016

Respectfully Submitted For Your Approval...

   I was talking to a co-worker today who's planning on vacationing in Apalachicola Florida, on the Gulf Coast, next week. I mentioned that I had an aunt who used to live down there when I was a kid. A great aunt, really. Anyway, she moved away over twenty years ago and she passed away probably a decade back, but after talking about Apalach, as the natives called it, I wondered if I could use Google Earth to see her old house. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember her street address. When I got home from work, I called my mom and she found her old address book, and found the address. I looked it up and used Google Street View to drop down in front of my aunt's house.

   It looked EXACTLY THE SAME. It's been over thirty years since I was there, but I hadn't forgotten the odd burnt umber color of the exterior of the place. Whoever owns the house now has kept that weird color. It looks nice enough that it had to have been painted since my aunt owned it, but it looks EXACTLY THE SAME. The carport was empty, as if my aunt had just gone to the grocery store or something.

   Who knows? Maybe in the sun-blighted streets of an old coastal town, time has lost its meaning. A place where it's still the 1970s and my aunt still drives around like the former New Yorker she was, blaring her horn at anyone who gets too close. A small corner of eternity that can only be found in...The Twilight Zone.

2 comments:

Keith West said...

Ok, in three paragraphs you have crafted a picture of a time, a person, and especially a place such that I can imagine myself being there.

Well done, sir. Well done.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

Thanks, Keith. For a pulp guy, I can sometimes write pretty.