Sunday, January 22, 2017

In the Beginning


Today is Robert E. Howard's birthday. For me, the picture above is the beginning. My first exposure to Robert E. Howard and Conan the Cimmerian. Though cover dated March of 1974, this comic was actually on the spinner racks in December of 1973. This copy was purchased for me by a favorite Great Aunt at a drugstore in my home town of Canton Georgia, as part of a random stack of comics she gave me for Christmas. This is the actual comic, which I've had ever since. Note that I got it signed by writer Roy Thomas. The signature is above the statue's shoulder on the left. The Conan books were out of print at the time, but eventually this comic led to my reading anything I could find by REH. Weird to hold this sometimes and know that the first time I held it, I was eleven years old.

4 comments:

Keith West said...

That is cool. Thomas was a guest at Howard Days some years back. Nice guy.

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I met him at HeroesCon. He was indeed, a great guy.

Anonymous said...

You may already know this but just in case - Roy is writing a new Conan yarn for Dark Horse to be illustrated by Tom Grindberg.

Kirowan

Charles R. Rutledge said...

I did, Kirowan, but I appreciate the heads up. I talk to Tom a good bit and have been following his progress on recent Conan art.